Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fort Mason Farmers' Market {San Francisco}


One of the beautiful things about living in San Francisco is that there are a handful of Farmer's Markets within walking distance to my apartment. 

This Sunday, I went to the Fort Mason Farmer's Market.


With all of this fresh produce around, there is no excuse not to buy locally and eat healthfully.



I always enjoy spending an hour or two strolling through the tents, tasting samples and taking in all of the sights and sounds of the families and couples milling about.


When you shop at a Farmers' Market, you really get a sense for what's in season and how you should be adapting your diet to the best foods available. You can also learn about new varieties of fruits and vegetables that you might not normally consider. I tried a green plum the other day that you are supposed to sprinkle a little salt on - like a margarita. The plum was so tart that a dash of salt made for an unexpected yet tasty pairing.


It's also amazing to compare the produce at a Farmers' Market like this one to what you can find in the grocery store. I find that the fruits and vegetables are more beautiful in their imperfections than the sterilized and overly fertilized versions you find in your huge supermarkets.


I bought a jar of this wildflower honey. The next morning, I swirled it into some plain greek yogurt and topped it with strawberries and blueberries, and I was amazed to taste the perfumey flavor of the wildflowers.


Artichokes are not quite in season yet here, but they are still one of my favorites!




These flowers came home with us to brighten up the entryway to our apartment.


I love to grill or roast summer squash like these with some olive oil, salt and pepper. No need for fancy seasonings when the vegetables are already so flavorful on their own.



The tent filled with freshly baked breads and danishes is always on my list, even if it's just for a quick peek.

Of course I had to grab some breakfast on the go - a fig and almond danish was just the perfect bite I needed.

Do you like to shop at a Farmers' Market, or do you prefer the convenience of the grocery store? Do you have a favorite Farmers' Market food or story?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous that all looks delicious! Minneapolis actually has a pretty large farmers market Thursdays on Nicollet Mall. I love getting fresh corn on the cob and grilling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shopping at Farmers' Markets!!! Great spread on the Fort Mason Farmers' Markets. As for favorites. I pretty much love and appreciate any farmers' market!! XO!

    ReplyDelete